Registered: 1516890861 Posts: 92
My much loved dog, Arby was diagnosed with late- stage kidney disease in December. I love this dog so much and am very attached to him, and vice versa <3
This dog has been the bright spot in my life. When my family essentially disowned me (stopped talking to me) and I still don't know why - my family of origin is dysfunctional and doesn't talk about much more than the weather.
My dog, whom I love so much is the only one who has loved me through all this - unconditionally ! I just desperately want to repay his love and kind spirit by doing right by him at all times, till the very end.
So scared I won't know when 'the time is right' for euthanasia -- I don't want my dog to suffer. I pray he will have a peaceful, gentle, natural passing.
He still has a will to live -- lets us pet him, barks for treats /food, and follows me around everywhere.
Please help me.
Registered: 1395286177 Posts: 58
Dear Pawprince, I know the angst you are feeling, I just went through it myself. My Mocha baby (16 yr old Yorkie) was diagnosed with kidney failure and I did everything I could to save her. But I also, worried I wouldn't know when to decide and worried she was suffering. My thought process became thinking about her "quality of life". What is Arby's quality of life? For my girl her life became just sleeping, nothing else. I struggled because she didn't seem to be suffering. But her quality of life was nil. She didn't eat for 4 days and then stopped being interested in drinking. She had lost a lot of weight and I could tell she was getting dehydrated. At that point, I knew it was time. Dreadful!!! One of the most painful things I have ever done. Even when you think you know its time and do, you will still question your decision. I think it's all part of the process. Mocha's Mom~
Registered: 1395286177 Posts: 58
P.S I wanted to add my family situation is the same as you, my son, an only child has kept me out of his life and has said horrible things to me for over a year now but Mocha's passing has somewhat, brought us back together. Like Mocha was saying she didn't want to leave until she knew i wasn't going to be alone. But if Arby is still participating in life, still eats, still goes out and goes potty still seems to be living then I would keep doing what you're doing~
Registered: 1519903880 Posts: 35
Sorry you have to go through this.
I lost my girl Coco to Kidney failure. It was a hard decision to make, but I could tell it was the right thing to do for her. She wasn't eating, wasn't drinking, had constant diarrhoea and looked miserable. I would have done anything to have kept her around longer and was given options to extend her life a few days, but in my heart I knew that that was for me, not her. It's been 3 months on Sunday and not a day goes by where I don't think of her or hate myself for having to make that decision. She really was a sick little girl though. The vet could barely find a vein, she was that dehydrated. It's a hard thing to do, but trust me, you will know when it's time. I wish you all the strength during this hard time.
Registered: 1498611382 Posts: 580
You will know when Arby tells you. There will be a unspoken connection and you'll know. I to hoped Termy would have just gone to sleep and that would be that but I had to make that dreadful decision and it was really painful and I haven't recovered yet. Please don't think about tomorrow, just live in the moment as our fur babies try to teach us. Enjoy today. I to wish you strength and send you my deepest compassion. Love and doggie hugs Termy's mom