Logo. Puff and Midget under the rainbow

ALL the Pet Loss Message Boards are moderated to make this an ABSOLUTELY SAFE place for you to find support.
You must REGISTER before you can post or reply.
Posts and replies cannot be viewed until after they have been checked for content & released by the Board Moderators. - EdW
Pet Loss Grief Support Message Board
Sign up  |   |   |  Latest Topics

  Author   Comment  

Posts: 1
My Pit bull Hooch has a large mass on his spleen diagnosed a 8 days ago, most likely cancer. We have decided not to put him through surgery he is 12 yrs . We also have not put him down , he seems comfortable and not in distress. Are we doing the right thing, we are so heart broken. I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO THIS IS SO HARD.

Posts: 580
Cherish him for the time you have left. As long as he isn't in any pain and seems comfortable live each day and each hour and each minuet. He will let you know when it's time. It'll be one of the hardest things you'll ever have to do but you will, because of your love for Hooch. My heart goes out to you and I am sending you my love and compassion for you at this very difficult time. Putting him through surgery at his age may be to hard on him. Treat him to all the things he loves and make a few new memories.
Love and doggie hugs
Termy's mom

Posts: 58
In my opinion, if he is still acting like he usually does and is eating and drinking I wouldn't decide yet.  Only if his quality of life is altered.  One day at a time~

Posts: 60
Hi.  I'm sorry that your dog has cancer.  I understand your sorrow and indecision.  I made the decision to have my 11-year-old Aussie put to sleep in late January; she had been diagnosed with a tumor in her mouth last September.  Deciding to not have her treated seemed obvious in some ways because of how stressful the treatment would have been on her and, in turn, on me, but I did go back and forth on my decision a few times.  But I ended up feeling that I did the right thing.  We had some great times in her final months, and there's no guarantee we would have had those if she had undergone treatment.  

I'm now dealing with a very similar situation.  I adopted an 11-year-old collie in March of this year (two months ago today) and found out two days later that he has osteosarcoma.  It was very easy to make the decision to have the affected leg amputated but the cancer is almost certainly still in his body and I chose to not have him get additional treatment.  As with my Aussie, it seemed that chemo or radiation would be too arduous.  

It was really hard to actually pick the time of death.  One thing the vet said that helped was that the kind thing for me to do for my dog was to allow her to die with dignity. In my Aussie's case, she was still able to walk and eat and go to the bathroom on her own but she also was clearly in pain some of the time.  So I think I picked an appropriate time even though it was heartbreaking to let her go.
Previous Topic | Next Topic

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

If you can, please help support this Message Board with a donation: