Registered: 1199802128 Posts: 37
A friend of mine at work has a 7 year old cat who has had asthma from the time he was born. He had been giving him depo shots every 3 months and by about 2.5 months into it he would start downward spiraling again.
Well now, he needs the shot once a month and about 1 week after the shot he starts downward spirling. It is getting worse and my friend is contemplating putting down his furbaby. He is struggling with what many of us have struggled with..."when is it the right time". If this cat is truly spending 40 weeks a year wheezing...is it fair to keep putting him through that? Does anyone think it's about time?
Registered: 1197839779 Posts: 1,328
If he's showing obvious signs of respiratory distress-- panting, shortness of breath, unable to move too much without symtoms-it would be pretty bad.
I would ask the vet: if there are other asthma treatments for cats?
Registered: 1196441749 Posts: 567
No one can tell your friend if it is time, that a personal decision he will have to make. But I can give you my thoughts about making that decision for my Nina Maria. I sent her to the bridge 6 months ago today. It was the hardest decision I have ever had to make. But when she became handicapped and needed a wheelchair, I always told her I would not let her suffer. As long as she was happy, healthy, eating and able to go to the bathroom, I cared for her. But when she became miserable and unable to control her functions, I knew it was time. You see we want to keep them forever, but we have to think of their quality of life. The advise I give your friend is to think about quality of life. How happy is his furbaby. I know it's very hard, but he will make the decision that is right for his furbaby. I will remember your friend in my prayers, I know how difficult it is. Nina Maria's Mom
Registered: 1194492978 Posts: 5,100
Without knowing more details it is really hard to to have an informed opinion.
Is this baby suffering? If your friend believes he is, your friend should have a heart to heart discussion with his vet (what would the vet do if it was his kitty, etc). I know there are many people here who do not trust vets, but if I couldn't trust my vet I would find a new one in a heartbeat. A trusted vet usually knows and deeply cares for the furbaby and the furparent and will provide at least some guidance in end of life issues. I hope this helps. Sending hugs, Melissa
Registered: 1172131641 Posts: 190
I don't know how his entire of quality of life is like eatting, playing and all that. Perhaps he can consult another vet or his current vet regarding other treatment options before making the decision.
Big hugs! Glad to have you back chadschic, so sorry for your losses. Daun
Registered: 1199856214 Posts: 774
Hi; There are alot more options out there for cats with asthma than there used to be. 7 years old is not very old for a cat, and while I agree it is not pleasent to be wheezing, I do not feel this cat would be wheezing if he had the right medical care. If the steroids work and then stop, either he is not getting the next injection soon enough, or there needs to be another form of treatment started. The best thing for your friend to do is take the cat to a specialist that is familiar with feline asthma. You can research it yourself by going on the Merck Veterinary Manual website. I know where I work we treat some cats with an inhaler treatment. It is not the same medication as for people. But there is a little cat mask and a measured medicine pump thing and it is easy and works great. You really don't want a cat to be on that much steroids for a long time. Just don't ever use any people medications on a cat they can have fatal reactions to some things. Their systems are way different than a persons. Bottom line is: Your friend needs to get his cat to a specialist. Research Feline Asthma and treatment options, and start a new treatment protocol. It also has to be verified that it is actually feline asthma as it is sometimes misdiagnosed. Your friend may also want to see if he can figure out what triggers it in his cat by keeping a journal of his cat and his paterns. This should be done with any treatment plan. I hope some of this helps. If it was my cat I would not put him to sleep.
Registered: 1206414832 Posts: 196
I think your friend knows the time is coming, but those final days are precious and we don't want to rush them if our baby isn't in pain. For me, it took my regular vet and Herbie's cardiologist (several conversations with each) and the emergency room vet (although her advice was at the bottom of the list because I weighed advice of vets who had seen Herbie several or many times to be more reliable.) But they gently all agreed and I witnessed a terribly painful episode where Herbie cried out in pain and fell over -- I thought it was a heart attack.
If your friends cat cannot breathe, then that is a problem. But I agree that taking the cat to a specialist in addition to the regular vet is best. It helped me find a higher comfort level with the decision, and even made me more aware that I needed to prevent my Herbie, who l loved more than any other living thing in this world, from experiencing severe pain. Those second and third opinions, or maybe one last effort that a specialist can make to improve quality of life and alleviate pain at least long enough so your friend can say goodbye, could be a help right now. Herbie's Mom