Petloss.com Logo. Puff and Midget under the rainbow

ALL the Pet Loss Message Boards are moderated to make this an ABSOLUTELY SAFE place for you to find support.
You must REGISTER before you can post or reply.
Posts and replies cannot be viewed until after they have been checked for content & released by the Board Moderators. - EdW
Pet Loss Grief Support Message Board
Sign up  |   |   |  Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
loserlover

Registered:
Posts: 1
 #1 
A week ago today I adopted a little black kitten from my local humane society. She had just been fixed and for the most part was healthy. She was a stray beforehand. I had looked up all the foods she should stay away from, but i never thought about plants. I have a peace lilly on my desk which is right beside my bed, and I always kept her off said desk. Of course, she would still go up there no matter how many times i moved her. While my mom and I were out of the house two days ago, she ate some of the lilly without me knowing. she seemed tired for the rest of the night when we came back and she curled up in the corner of my bed instead of under my chin like she usually does when I sleep. We had noticed an umbilical hernia (shes 9 weeks old) and we were going to take her to the vet on Sunday. The next morning she was even more tired and was coughing and sneezing. I steamed her out in the bathroom a few times, and kept her warm. Sometime in the afternoon she weakly pulled herself under the bed and curled herself up in the very corner. I got worried about half an hour later and tried to remove her and she had 2 seizures. I have her plenty of milk and water and kept her resting because I didn’t know what else to do. Later that night when I left the room to get a rag to clean her she jumped off the bed and had another seizure. We were up all night keeping her hydrated. She died this morning in my arms after she started having difficulty breathing.

I feel absolutely terrible about everything. I should’ve done more research about potential dangers in my house. My friends also think that she was sick before we adopted her, and they’re trying to reassure me it isn’t my fault.

How do I cope with this?
Dogmommy

Registered:
Posts: 394
 #2 
Hi,
 
I am so terribly, terribly sorry about your heartbreaking loss of your little kitten : (  Please accept my deepest condolences and heartfelt sympathy. I did some research and I think that your friends are right--
 
Most people are sadly unaware that lilies are EXTREMELY TOXIC to cats. Everyone should read this link whether they have cats or not and send it to everyone they know who does! Lily and Cat, Lilies and Cats - Are Lilies Poisonous to Cats 
 
However Peace Lilies (despite their name) are NOT true lilies and do not have the same deadly effect. The symptoms your little kitty suffered just do not sound like the symptoms Peace Lily ingestion causes in cats which you can read about here  Are Peace Lilies Poisonous to Cats?
 
It really sounds more likely that your poor little kitty was already sick when you adopted her but hadn't become symptomatic yet. 
 
Once again I am so terrible, terribly sorry for your loss : ( 
Ghatten

Registered:
Posts: 1,821
 #3 
I am so sorry for you loss, and it does seem so unfair when they are so loved and so young.

I'm inclined to agree with Dogmommy. This sounds more like she was already sick and not like a peace lily. As to doing more research . . . . we all do our best and sometimes for all we learn, there is one remote fact that we never find anywhere. For me it was that non-poisonous plants can kill too. My little girl ate a house plant, a bromeliad. And I do mean ate - the entire plant looked like it had been mowed. I panicked and immediately researched the plant, not poisonous. But the stuff I read never mentioned how high in fiber that plant is. A week later I rushed her to the vet (she had shown no symptoms till then) when she went into distress. She was blocked by the plant's high fiber content. They did all they could, but the blockage had stressed her system too much - she was 8 years old. So for your baby, maybe more research would have said her symptoms indicate some illness, but then again maybe it wouldn't have. And maybe you could have done more research until you knew every remote fact, but then your baby may never have been yours and you would still be reading, or maybe she would have come to your home but not been given time and love you gave her because you were researching. What matters is that she was so very loved, knew she was loved and that you did the best you could (and she knows you did) - maybe her special soul was needed for some very special task, something you were chosen to help prepare her for.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

If you can, please help support this Message Board with a donation: