Logo. Puff and Midget under the rainbow

ALL the Pet Loss Message Boards are moderated to make this an ABSOLUTELY SAFE place for you to find support.
You must REGISTER before you can post or reply.
Posts and replies cannot be viewed until after they have been checked for content & released by the Board Moderators. - EdW
Pet Loss Grief Support Message Board
Sign up  |   |   |  Latest Topics

  Author   Comment  

Posts: 1
This is my first time here. We just found out today that our MoCow, domestic short hair cat, has feline leukemia. Haven't stopped crying yet, even though I've cried so much it feels like my head is going to explode. For tonight he is in an oxygen room. But tomorrow comes the decision making time. And I'm not sure I can. MoCow is black and white, easily the most personable cat I've ever met and I've always been a dog person. He's been allowing us to live with him for a little over 7 years now. I love him so much, I just don't know if I can do it.

Posts: 317

Dear Noof, I'm sorry about your sweet MoCow. You little baby is so sick, and if there is nothing you can do for him, the best is not letting him suffer aymore. To let your fur-baby go is such a hard thing to do, I'll be praying for you, that you might have strenght in these difficult times.
Diana, Jessie and Neko's mom.

Posts: 774
I am so sorry about your cat.
You said he is in an O2 room. Is he haveing difficulty breathing? Fluid in his lungs? What is going on with him? Was there more than one Felv test done? Was one rechecked after a month or so?
I hope he does okay, but I think you know the reality of things. If he is really sick and on oxygen because he can't breathe, and the Vets are good and they are trained and they have told you he won't recover.....
just think if it were you. But I would not make that decision based on one positive leukimia test.
Please keep us posted.

Posts: 49
Hi Noof,
firstly, we all hear and feel your pain. What you're going through is very normal. It's a terrible, awful feeling. All I can say is do ask lots of questions of your vet, do lots of research before making a decision - but first and foremost do what you feel is right for your little one. They usually have a way of letting you know. My thoughts and prayers are with you and MoCow....

Jesse's Mum

Posts: 5
I know EXACTLY what you're going through.  My cat had a large tumor in her side which the vet did surgery on in March.  He removed a fist-sized tumor and was not able to remove the rest as it went over her spine.  Pixie's tumor grew to the same size in only 2 months, a really aggressive tumor usually takes 6 months to grow to that size.  After some research I found that my option was to either let her go or put her through endless surgeries.  I know it is extremely hard to be objective, especially considering your frame of mind right now, but it's very important to do the research and consider how advanced her condition is.  It was one of the hardest decisions I've ever made, but I keep having to tell myself it was the best thing for her.  Chin up, and honestly joining this site was a VERY good decision! my thoughts and prayers are with you and your poor cat!


Posts: 34
Noof, I can relate to you on several things.  We just lost our 15 year old Tuxedo (black and white) cat a week Sunday (suddenly from a blood clot from the heart), so we had to make the decision to let him go because there was virtually no hope at all of him recovering from the paralyzes from the waist down caused by the blood clot and he was on oxygen and in terrible pain.

I can also relate because twenty something years ago, we lost our Charlie (he was only three) to feline leukemia.  We had to let him go. He couldn't breath.  It was so hard, so I feel your sorrow of having to make that decision.

Most on here know what it's like to have to make that decision, so we understand your hurt and heartache.

You're in my thoughts...

Posts: 1,205
My little girl Jilly, she was black and white too, had leukaemia.  She had seemed out of sorts for a couple of days, so I took her to the vet.  He diagnosed Leukaemia.  He said it was so advanced there was nothing that could be done.  He told me to take her home and just give her lots of tlc.  She went down so quickly it was unbelievable.  She just sat on the window sill with her head down.  She wouldnt eat or drink.  I looked at her sad little face, and knew that I had to let her go. 
It is the hardest decision, but when I thought about what a happy, active girl she was, and now she was reduced to that state.  I know that I did the right thing, although it was the hardest.  Thinking of you.  Much Love Di xxx

Posts: 820

My Mums cat had feline leukaemia years ago and she got injections every month.  This meant she lived another couple of years.  She would know when it was time for the injections because Susie would stop eating and feel lethargic.  My Mum couldn't bear to pts and Susie died in her box two years later when she was about 14 I think.  In between injections she was great and you wouldn't know she was sick.  Hope this helps.  Good luck Ruperts Mum


Posts: 567

I am so sorry to hear about your precious MoCow.   It's truly awful when you get news like you received.   Perhaps the injections Ruperts Mum talked about are a possibility.  My heart goes out to you at this time.  I know you have a very difficult decision to make.  When you get more information tomorrow, ask the vet every question you can think of.   Then listen to what your heart tells you.  Even though it is very difficult to send our babies to the Bridge (I had to make that decision for my Nina), we don't want them to suffer and be in pain.   Sometimes the greatest gift we can give is to let them go.   I know it's easy for me to say, but very, very difficult to do.   You will be in my prayers that your heart will tell you what to do.

No matter what is decided, the people on this site will be here for you, please keep in touch.

Hugs and prayers for you and MoCow,
Nina Maria's Mom
Previous Topic | Next Topic

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

If you can, please help support this Message Board with a donation: