Nuggetsmum asked that I post my signs that I have had since I helped Smokey (cat 16 ½ yo) cross over on July 3. I am sharing these with some concern that people may think I’m crazy, but all of these truly did happen. I am calling my post “signs, blessings and comfort” because many of these “happenings” were also blessings/comfort rather than signs from Smokey.
To start I want to share with you that I have had a very difficult time throughout my life trusting God and finding a place where I fit w/in the church world. When I was nine years old, my father was killed in a plane crash. My father was also Jewish. My mother raised us as Christian. Sadly, I went to pastors and ministers trying to resolve the fate of my father (e.g. heaven). Without question, all told me that they could not say that my father went to heaven. Of course I was crushed by these responses and couldn’t connect with the church world/dogma from that point on. I know there is a God and that God loves everyone including our precious fur kids. So I have had to develop my own peace with God and the universe.
Onward….I helped my Samantha (Smokey’s litter mate) over 2 ½ years ago. She was 14 ½ years old. Many times prior to her crossing, I asked her if she was ready to go see God? After 8 months of battling diabetes and autoimmune problems, I let her go. Signs from Sammy after her death included……….when I came home after dropping Sammy at the pet funeral home, I came home to just Smokey after 14 1/2 years of always having the two. We were walking through my house (very quiet inside). Smokey was right behind me in the hallway (just steps behind). All of a sudden he must have jumped two feet in the air as if he had just been attacked from behind. There was nothing going on, no noise, nothing to have startled him. I believe it was Sam paying him back for all the times he tackled her. When I first turned around and saw his little face, he looked startled, like what the heck???? At that moment I felt she was safe. I still cried to no end, but worried less about the safety aspect. Shortly after that, I had a dream of her weaving in and out of the underside of my rocking chair and purring like a kitten. Then about a week after her death, I was having a particularly bad day. On my way home from work I saw a beautiful rainbow in the sky. Since that time, I have not had any signs from Samantha.
About a week prior to helping Smokey over (and no firm plans to do so yet), I had a vivid dream about Smokey and Samantha. They were running across a road, away from me and into a big field. They were chasing each other without a care in the world and I was sad and worried that they weren't coming back. I have to believe that was a sign from God letting me know that it was close to Smokey's time. That Sammy, was coming to help him over and that they would be together again.
Prior to helping Smokey over, I called a prayer line and requested prayer for Smokey and I. I also asked Smokey to visit me in my dreams. The day after helping Smokey over I prayed to God and Smokey to give me a sign that he was okay. Earlier I had read Doodlebug's post on another thread about the sign she requested from Gus. That same day, I saw my neighbor sitting in her backyard. I thought to myself, I should go chat with her. Then I said, no, I don’t have the energy. Then something told me to go over, it would make me feel better. So I walked over. My neighbor and I were sitting in her backyard looking out onto my property and a long forested area that I have. All of a sudden she says, "oh look, there is a cat running across your property." When I looked it was a black cat and it was running across my open grass and into my woods. Okay, I've seen stray cats on properties adjacent to mine, but never a black cat. Smokey was a beautiful black cat and full of play and chase in his youth.
It could have been just a coincidence, but how likely to have a black cat running freely on my property into my beloved woods. The same woods that I would never let Smokey go into b/c I was worried he would break loose of his harness and I would never find him in there. Go figure.......When we walked in the yard, he always tried his best to get in the woods. He would get mad when I wouldn't let him in there. After my visit with my neighbor, I came back in the house and logged back onto Petloss and I had a message from Jerry C. asking Smokey to show me a sign. Next, I had a dream that I was in a house and I rounded a corner. There was Smokey and I looked at him in disbelief and said what are you doing here, you’re not supposed to be here. And I think he said oh I'm fine or something to that affect. He was beautiful and then the dream was over.
The week since I helped Smokey over, I’ve been distraught. I have been praying to God that he would provide me with comfort and peace. Since those prayers, the following has occurred:
- I had to travel for work this past week. I usually listen to talk radio, but somehow ended up on NPR. Ted Koppel was hosting a special on cancer. He gave a brief update and then said, “Let’s go to our first caller, Smokey in California.” I nearly drove off the road.
- I made my usual Starbuck’s stop en route and when I got there, I saw a free brochure on connecting with your angels and an article on grief.
- I got to the hotel where I thought I had a made a reservation. Turned out, not to be so. So I had to figure out where I was supposed to be staying. I finally figured that out. I was on the other side of the city. When I got to the hotel, the front desk clerk said, unfortunately we had to give you an upgrade to a room with a jaccuzi. When I got up to my room, there was a bag of goodies on my bed and the bag said, “guest of the day.”
- On my way back to my home city, I stopped at Starbucks again. At the front counter there was a bin of bulk coffee. Someone had written, “May God bless you always” on one of the bags. I just happened to glance down and see that. Then I found a five dollar bill tucked in where the CD’s were stored in front of the register. I gave that to the Barista.
- Billboard on travel back that said, “God works in mysterious ways.”
- At my office, I was having a bad day on Thursday. I just needed some comfort. I looked to my right and saw a picture of a rainbow that I had put up on my wall several years ago. Hadn’t even thought about it since that time.
- A week after helping Smokey over, I saw the black cat again. It was hanging out in my yard and then ran back into the woods. Again, I have never seen a black cat in my yard or anywhere around prior to Smokey’s passing. Seeing the black cat again makes me wonder if it’s truly a sign, but the timing of the visits are quite remarkable.
- Friday I received the nicest/most complimentary email from one of my coworkers. He is retiring and wanted to tell me how important I was to him and that he appreciated all of the help I had provided to him over the years.
- Last night I had a beautiful dream of Smokey lying in a very comfortable position, almost with a glow about him. And he had those soft comforting restful kitty eyes. I did wake up crying b/c I miss him so much.
Well, I think I have captured all of the signs and blessings I have experienced in the week since I helped Smokey cross over. Needless to say, my trust and faith in God has manifested greatly, as he has surely provided me with much comfort.
I hope this post wasn’t too terribly long, but I did want to share all of the wonderful things that happened to me.
Have a peaceful night all.